Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Don't Quit

It has been long since I've blogged something, thanks to such a hectic life. Since last few days I am having continual sessions of self doubts and fits of despair. Future seems bleak, I feel unable to find out what actually I want to do in my life, what are my long term goals, would I get a job , even if a get a job then what next? Is the purpose of schooling, and for that matter life is to earn some bucks when you have no liberty to stick to your ideas...But then this is what society EXPECTS from "Aam Aadmi"...It has never cared about the true passions of that aam aadmi, instead he is forced to leave his dreams and live the stereotype dreams of society. This is the last thing I want in my life. But going against the norms always have huge risks associated with it. I know I'm taking a big risk by not participating actively in my campus placement, but then the job profiles which are being offered are not to my liking. And that's why I want to pursue an MBA from one of the coveted institutes in India. But then the competition is so tough that a little bit of complacency can cost you heavily (esp in case of an inveterate complacent person like me). This transient phase of lax attitude, however short it may be, can lead to a premature end of your dreams in this cut throat competition. And then starts the biggest problem, you start questioning yourself : What the heck I'm going to do in my life? Am I able enough to reach those heights which I've always dreamt of? What the people would say if I failed? and so on...and a vicious circle starts.
This is the time which tests your mental strength, your self-belief and how positive you are. You need someone to support you, to make you believe that you can do it, but most importantly you need something to lift your spirits...it can be a quote, an adage, a maxim...In my case it is a poem. I don't know who is the poet but this is what keeps me inspired whenever I am in distress...the poem goes as :


Don't Quit
by anonymous
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest! if you must; but don't you quit.


Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As everyone of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up, though the pace seems slow;
You might succeed with another blow.


Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup.
And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.


Success is failure turned inside out;
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt;
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit;
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.

It has been six years now, and not even once it has happened that I recited this poem and didn't feel a go and get it kinda feeling. I would like to sincerely thanks its poet for such an inspiring composition. Well done Anonymous.

2 comments:

  1. I think this poem applies to a lot of things, and being positive is the key to it, then only you can perform well in any thing. and you need patience to get your work done, this i saw in my blog, first i was giving up but then i decided to wit and do what i was doing and now i think it is working really well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaa... I second your thoughts Gauti!! Perseverance is what it takes to succeed besides competence and confidence.

    ReplyDelete